Monday, November 30, 2009

only as straight as the A's


Since when did I start to care about grades so much?  In undergraduate school, the point was just to make it through with a passing grade.  I really didn't care if it was an A or a C.  Now, I need an A.

Actually, I need an A or a B but I want an A.  I got my final back from my policy class and it was a B+.  I'm not arguing that it was wrong or I deserved better because upon looking at it from my teacher's POV, it was indeed a B paper.  However, that means that I am either getting an A- or a B+ in the class based upon attendance (I've been there every class), the midterm (A-) and the final.  I know in my other class I'm getting an A because it's all self-evaluation.  Now, I just want to get through my first semester of grad school with straight A's.

I wasn't too sad to see my policy class end.  However, my culture class, which I think I may have written about almost every Monday for the past nine Mondays will be missed.  I'll miss talking about cultural considerations in such depth and with such guaranteed sensitivity but I will mostly miss my classmates.  I went out for Hot Lips pizza with some of them and tried the Waldorf (blue cheese, apples and walnuts on an olive base) for the first time.  It was outstanding and had blackberry soda on tap.  Mmmmm.

What else?
I had to take another stab at the tech problem from Saturday because apparently it wasn't working right.  However, it didn't take a lot for me to see what was wrong and get it fixed.  Go me!


Portland had an outbreak of e-coli over the weekend in the water on the westside.  Fortunately, I live and work on the eastside.  Unfortunately, school is on the westside.  While over there, I was cautious of washing my hands and drinking the water even though they said it was all better by Sunday evening.

I found out that the guy I sat by in each culture class is also going to be in one of my classes next quarter.  Hooray!

No comments: