Friday, November 13, 2009

the search party


Last night, I went looking for my friend's friend who I mentioned yesterday.  It turns out that there was newly found evidence that indicated he may be alive still after missing for three days.

I know the man in question.  I've met him at various holiday functions at our house and others' houses.  He's greatly involved in the biking community.  While I've known him for years, I'd really only consider him an acquaintance.  However, I'd like to get to know him better, especially after reading his letter.

Without knowing what else to do, several of his friends got together tonight to brainstorm what to do.  It ended up with me going out with some friends to look for him.  Trying to find someone in town with very little clues is like searching for the proverbial needle.  He was the needle and the section of the haystack we chose was Kelly Point Park.

Kelly Point is the convergence of the Willamette and Columbia rivers just outside Portland.  Apparently, it's bike-accessible and it'd be a symbolic place to kill yourself.  We were out past midnight.  After eight of us went to Kelly Point (and were unsuccessful) we headed back into town to search the bridges.  We went home with only the reassurance that he wasn't at one of those few places.

Today, I got a message, saying he had returned home safe and sound.  It's shocking.  I'm surprised but absolutely thrilled that there was a happy end to these events.

No comments: