Friday, November 6, 2009

port city


This is my life now.  I work in social work services, I go to school for social work services and now, I spend my Friday evenings going to hear about social work services.

Helping people with developmental disabilities is something that I am very interested in.  To paraphrase the military, it's more than a career.  Port City was having art showing and speaker tonight.  Port City runs a program that I am really interested in, Project Grow.  Project Grow is their Alternative To Employment but they don't do what we do at my work.  They garden, they raise goats and chickens and do great art projects.  It's pretty amazing.

I want my work's program to do better.  I've made no secret to my boss that I want to eventually be running that department.  When it's mine someday, I will use Port City as an example to gradually build up our program.

Also at tonight's event, there was a speaker from a self advocacy group for people with developmental disabilities.  It was great to hear someone speak up for themselves and declare what they want and how others can help them.  They also had a panel discussion about services for people with DD need improvement.

It's great to see these agencies in place and it's cool that people are questioning the existing systems.

No comments: