Wednesday, November 4, 2009

school gays


When I got accepted to school, I hoped to meet some good people in my classes and perhaps some good gays.  Today, I thought it was more likely to happen as we had a LGBTQ affinity group for the social work program.  However, like most other queer groups I've been involved with in Portland, I was a little disappointed.

In Queer Revolution, I was often the only gay guy there.  Initially, there were more gay guys but, after its initial inception, there was only one other identified male and me.  There were always a lot of lesbians, some gender queers and then a gay guy or two.

Portland's weird.  There is definitely a greater lesbian than gay population here.  However, there are more gay bars by far.  It's cool though since I generally feel more comfortable around lesbians and, generally speaking, the lesbians I know tend to be a lot more radical than the gay guys.

At the meeting today, I met some new people, ran into some old comrades from QR and found out some people that I had met in orientation and class are queer (to be more accurate, lesbians).  It was nice to feel even more comfortable in school.  I just wanna know where the boys are.

P.S. The picture is from Ground Kontrol.  I was looking for a really gay picture on-line but I realized that I already had one from the side of one of their games.

No comments: