Sunday, September 13, 2009

the rom-com

I worked in as a video store snob for several years.  How come is it then that I never heard of the term 'Rom-Com?"

It makes sense.  Sci-fi = science fiction & Rom-com = romantic comedy.  I get it.  I just can't believe I haven't heard it used before today.  Maybe that's because I have little to no interest in seeing most romantic comedies.  However, I am a sucker (complete and utter sucker...I didn't mean it like that) for independent films though.  (Look, you can tell it's an independent movies by the funky layered clothing, glasses, beard and the arty shot on the moving airport sidewalk.)  For the most part, I think that they have a higher level of comedic and dramatic value.  Also, I just like movies with a small budget and bigger heart.

'Away We Go' will not be the worse movie I've seen but it could've been a lot better.  There are just so many deep and dramatic scenes towards the end so you forget that it used to be a comedy.  Plus it's real heterosexist.  It has several straight couples and a few single people just looking for that perfect person...of the opposite gender.  Still, Jim from the Office is pretty adorkable in it.

Anyway, that was my movie for the night.  My new thing was going on a different route for this year's Diabetes Walk and hanging out with different co-workers out of the office.  However, I just couldn't bring myself to blog about it because this movie was considerably more interesting.   That's a sad reflection on my lazy Sunday.

No comments: