Monday, September 7, 2009

dean's new defenses

I love this guy but it's getting difficult to take him anywhere. He has developed the habit at home of following the neighbor's dog along the fence, waiting until the little yapper stops, lifts his leg and then pees on the little thing. Today, while on a walk, we passed a yapper tied up by their front door. It ran up, near its front hedges and began yapping at Dean. His response was to lift his leg near the hedge but aimed for the dog. I pulled him back quickly though so he would miss. Then this evening, we passed another yapper by on a walk and I pretty much decided I wouldn't trust him not to pee on the little guy so we crossed the street.

Then, at the park, I let him run off leash quick while I used the park's trashcan. I called him back to me when I was ready to go. He runs up to me on the sidewalk next to the playground and I hear three boys, all between 11-13 or so, yelling at us. I took off my headphones and asked them what they said. One kid was saying, "We don't want your dog to chase us." An older kid said, "Yeah, I got a hurt ankle." I assured them that he wouldn't chase them and told them he's too shy for that. Then the third kid yells, "Here doggy, doggy, doggy! Come here, boy!" Dean goes running to them then and all three kids run screaming and scrambling to climb up playground equipment.

So that was my new thing, talking to these kids and having to pull Dean away from three screaming kids. I don't blame him for any of it. I would pee on the yappers to shut them up too if it was socially acceptable and he just wanted to play with the boys. He's a good dog...he really is. He's just socially akward. I know how that goes. :)

No comments: