Friday, September 4, 2009

safest-way

The first place I went to in Portland, aside from the motel, was the Safeway near Portland and Columbia. I got a Safeway card then even though I never gave them my name or number and bought some groceries.

Shortly after my arrival, Safeway was boycotted for using GE products or for labor issues. I'm not sure which. Anyway, it meant I wasn't going there anymore. The fact is, I still don't. It also meant that an acquaintance of mine destroyed my card to make a point. I like their glass bottle recycling (since their machine accepts more things we drink) but their prices are too much and they are hardly vegetarian friendly. However, I do now think highly of Safeway, just because they're helping to better the life of one of my clients.

I have a guy that works at a Safeway factory. He's been having muscle pain lately and hasn't been able to easily do his normal job which involves heavy lifting. I had a meeting with him and his bosses today and I was all ready to plead with them to give him different tasks instead of the heavy lifting work. However, they surprised me by taking it upon themselves to restructure his job into something that doesn't cause him physical pain and will allow him to keep his hours.

There's a lot of reasons to dislike a lot of places. However, if you look hard enough, there are also reasons to not dislike them so much. I doubt I'll be shopping there. It's just not convenient or practical for me, but I definitely have a rebuttal for people who are hating.

No comments: