Wednesday, September 16, 2009

weapons of mass transportation


I think that I can do it.  I think I can get rid of my car.

My job requires that I have a reliable form of transportation.  For most, that translates to 'have a car.'  However, I like pushing the envelope and finding the loopholes.  The biggest, broadest understanding of that requirement could mean, 'at least have a bus pass,' but they could argue that a bus would take to long between the switches and the waiting.  However, they don't have a problem with a zipcar.  I've talked to my boss about it and the company lawyer to see if there would be any legal issues.  Zipcar is insured (better than my insurance actually) so there's really not a thing they can site wrong with it.  They did ask if I would have access to it in case of an emergency.  It turns out that I will.  Today, I was planning on borrowing Ashes' car to run to one of my sites.  However, something came up quick and it wasn't available.  Within minutes, I had logged into Zipcar's website and reserved a car.

This was my first time taking a Zipcar out for work purposes and the first time I've driven a Honda Civic Hybrid.  I don't recommend it.  It's too damn uncomfortable.

When school starts at the end of the month, I won't do the clothing donation pickups anymore.  Since that's one major use for my car gone, I figured it will be a good time to get rid of it.  I'm not sure if I'll sell it on Craigslist or not.  I know I just don't want to pay insurance on it anymore.

The picture above is the new green MAX line that runs along I-205.  I also visited the Powell stop for the MAX today which one of my new clients will be using to get to their new store.  No car for them either.  Yay!

No comments: