Saturday, September 26, 2009

Mr W's party


Throughout my retail career, I used to get unjustifiably pissed at people who didn't have to work a weekend day.  I thought of it as elite of them and not sympathetic with 'working' people.  However, I have a slightly different view now that I hold 'banker's' hours.

Today, I did several tasks for work.  The one problem was it's Saturday and I wasn't getting paid.  The first thing I did was participate in the Kiwanis walk.  One of my co-workers organized a work team so of course I had to do it.  Besides, he does the AIDS walk so I owed him.  I could've said no but I like Kiwanis and I think he's pretty awesome for doing this for them.

I also went to a client's birthday party.  One of my guys, Mr W, had a birthday party and invited me and several of other staff members.  This is the first social event I have went to for one of my clients that wasn't really work related.  It threw me off for a bit.  His mom offered me a beer and initially, I refused because work policy dictates we don't drink.  However, I quickly came around to the idea that this wasn't work, I wasn't getting paid and I wanted a beer.

The party was great.  Mr W enjoyed himself quite a lot, has a great supportive family and got a lot of money.  Some of our other clients were there so we all got to hang with them outside of work too.  After he was done opening up his gifts, Mr W told everyone to be quiet because I was going to make a speech about him.  It was completely unexpected but he's a great guy so I had a number of good things to say.  I think he appreciated it.  I hope he did.  Anyway, it was a great time and I wouldn't have taken a paycheck for going to it.  It was too much fun (and I wouldn't have been able to have a beer!).

No comments: