Wednesday, July 29, 2009

i think i'm paranoid

A number of people I work with have paranoid delusions. Someone is trying to hurt them (usually the person on the TV or a comic book villain) or someone wants to sleep with them (usually someone they have a crush on). So maybe the paranoia is rubbing off on me. Tonight, we had two guys wearing orange vests with a laminated Comcast label come up to our door and ask about our television, phone and internet service. The weird part was that it was 8:15 pm, they were on foot and they asked if we had a lot of computers in the house. Danger, Will Robinson.

Think about it. It's a pretty sound scam. Look official with an orange vest that you can buy anywhere. Go to Kinko's and laminate the name of some well-known company for an official looking badge. Walk up to houses with the door/windows open and ask how many computers they have in the house. Come later in the evening so people will simply answer your questions just to get you gone. Ask if they're satisfied with their service to seem more official but really you're just looking for a house that'll be more exposed tomorrow due to lack of AC.

It all seemed sketchy to me so I grabbed some shoes and followed them. They walked across Holgate, only stopping at my next door neighbors briefly. They parked on a side-road and were driving an unmarked blue sedan. Only one of the guys drove away. I lost the other guy. It wasn't sitting well with me still so I called Comcast and weirded out the call-room guy with my questions. They said that it was possible they were legit but suggested I talk to my neighbors to see if they got a card from them. I checked the neighbor's door and saw that the Comcast guys left a doorknob hanger, advertising a deal on an expanded cable package.

It seems convincing but I'm going to be on alert just in case. Yes, I will eventually end up a shut-in wearing a tin-foil hat.

1 comment:

reader said...

more like "danger: cops"