Friday, November 2, 2007

the intruder


I like raccoons. They're city dwellers that don't take any crap from mankind but they will rob you blind if given the opportunity. Considering all we take from the rest of the world and the animal kingdom, I think that's commendable. If you haven't already, you need to check out the anime film, "Pom Poko." It's all about raccoons training for direct action and eco-sabotage against the humans that are trying to destroy their home.

Every year, after the grapes on our awning in the front of our house ripen, the raccoons start to show up. They usually come between 4am-5am. I know this because Dean tells us so. Once in a while, someone would get up to find out what he was barking at and they'd discover that the raccoons were back. Today, one decided to come early.

I stepped out the front door to go to a gypsy punk show at Reed college with a friend when I saw the critter's hand. I had just locked the door behind me but I fortunately had my camera with me. I snapped a picture and the raccoon lowered his head so I'd get a better show. After I took another picture or two, I realized it was hissing at me and getting lower, almost directly overhead. I kept eye contact with it while I fumbled with my keys to jump back inside. I've never backed down from a raccoon before but it looked like it meant business. I guess part of my admiration for the animals is a respect and healthy amount of fear of them as well.

No comments: