Thursday, November 15, 2007

emo in the air

I love this time of year. Rain hung on its bursting point above in the heavy gray sky as I walked home, listening to Wilco's Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Crows followed me down the street by leaping from one half-naked tree to another. The yellow, orange and red leaves tried to ignite some passion for the season against the gray haze. And I recalled my appreciation for the emo side of life. (I didn't cry though.)

Being pragmatic and cynical with a splash of sarcastic is a form of functioning that I've found effortlessly. It seemed to have found me at one point or another. I used to be a lot more wildly passionate. I think I was. Hell, I think I was even an optimist at one point. Wow, it's crazy how we change over time. Regardless, today's walk was especially refreshing for no special reason. That's just how it was. Maybe it's the music choice. I'm not saying I'm gonna go all emo but maybe I could explore other options to dance and techno.

Anyway, my new thing today was refreshing as well. I talked to my sister. While that in and of itself is not a new thing, the circumstances surrounding it were. I'm close with my family. Well, as close as one can be when they are three big states apart and they don't use the phone very often. But my sister does not call me out of the blue. My parents will and my niece does sometimes but not my sister. Naturally, I assumed that something terrible had happened and she was the one to call me about it. Fortunately, she just wanted someone to keep her company on her drive home from a conference and everyone in the mid-west that she would call was sleeping.

It was nice though, just chatting with her, not due to a birthday or anything. Maybe I should call more often. Maybe that would help me be more...emotional.

No comments: