Tuesday, November 20, 2007

the hunt for the holy soy whip


I found a recipe for a no-bake oreo cheesecake which I will turn vegan. I started making vegan cheesecakes for Harvest Dinner three years ago. The first year, Victory gave me a recipe which I later lost for a no-bake cheesecake that we added caramel, pecans and chocolate shavings to. It turned out divine. The next two years, I used various other recipes I found which required the cake to be baked. They turned out bad. They were edible still but their consistency was soupy. I think the problem was the fake egg combined with powdered sugar instead of granulated sugar. Anyway, I got enough of a head start on it this year where hopefully it will turn out better.

My recipe is easy and consists of cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, oreos and whip cream. I have the oreos and I can buy tofutti cream cheese anywhere but a vegan whip cream was a lot more difficult to find. The recipe said “non-dairy whipped topping” which made it sound a LOT more common than it is. I went to New Seasons, Trader Joes, Safeway, Fred Meyer, Food Fight (my first time at their new location) and finally Wild Oats as a last minute resort. At Wild Oats, I found it and felt like I had just discovered the fracking holy grail! Soyatoo! Soy Whip. I am tired now and not cooking until tomorrow!

No comments: