Friday, November 16, 2007

the question of jogging


I remember seeing a commercial several years ago that started with these high school track kids running, giving it there all and looking like they're in pain. They're sweating up a storm and you think the commercial is going to be for a sports drink or something. But then they run past this group of heavier-set kids on the other side of the fence who are eating candy bars and drinking pops, smiling, jeering and laughing at the ridiculousness of the joggers. I've always been on the latter side of the fence when it comes to jogging.

Jogging is usually something that sounds like a good idea until I do it. Then I decide that there are many ways to get into shape (that's such a weird term) without subjecting myself to this and I stop. My housemate Ashes has been into jogging off and on for a while now. Whenever he asks if I'd like to join him, I say that Dean and I will go to the park with him but I'm not running.

Today, he was excited about a new route that he tried the day before which didn't involve running in circles. I also went to the gym yesterday so he managed to catch me on an exercise high and I said yes. Now I like running. But usually running involves me making it to a destination quicker. Typcially, I don't run in the rain for the sake of running in the rain. But I did tonight.

It was great. Jogging with a partner makes it a lot easier to keep a steady pace and to keep going. I was tired when we finished but I wasn't exhausted. Hell, I think I may do it again tomorrow.

No comments: