Sunday, July 22, 2007

will work for food


Being hungry and broke is scary. When I moved to Portland and quickly went through the money I had saved up, I started to panic. My diet consisted of one pack of veggie dogs a week. It was hard but I had no choice. Then my fabulous friends turned me onto the joys of dumpstering. It's not the glamorous life but if you're starving, it'll do. I'm a big recycler anyway so it fit in with my code of living. Suddenly, I was learning that I didn't have to slave away at some shitty job just to put food on the table if I just got a little creative.

Back in January, I put myself in that familiar position. I quit my job that I HATED and took a job that I LOVE for a paycut. Suddenly, buying a multitude of groceries or going out to eat wasn't an option anymore. When I started to become more aware that I was going to have to cut corners, I started looking for alternatives. It turns out that a friend of mine was doing a food pickup for a charity, kind of like Food Not Bombs. She needed help with it and the payment for helping once a week for maybe an hour and a half is a selection of groceries. The food I got today is pictured above. Our main liaison at the grocery store left for another store so today, I met the new guy, Justin (for the first time). He seemed nice. The food selection wasn't fabulous. I'm sure he'll get more generous later on. In the meantime, I won't complain. Hey, it's free.

No comments: