Wednesday, July 18, 2007

interstate love song


When I first came to Portland to visit, I stayed in a motel on MLK and Columbia which is WAY out there! It took me forever to get to downtown. I was fresh to Portland and I didn't know a soul. It was exciting but it allowed for a lot of poor judgment too.

After I decided I loved it here, I moved into a motel that I passed on Interstate which was a LOT closer to downtown. It was the Palm. There were several more motels after that until I got a job here (I was living off unemployment) and a place but I consider the Palm my first home/refuge in Portland. During my stay there, bright lights would shine through the windows at night. It was the light from the new MAX construction. Now look at it! It has changed Interstate Blvd a lot.

Today, for the first time, I rode up interstate all the way from the Broadway Bridge to Lombard on my scooter. I also rode it back. It's a decent ride if you're not in a hurry. I got drenched down to my boxers though due to the rain.

Ah, Palm, I'll never forget how you sheltered the awe-inspired and dreamy-eyed lad that I was back then.

No comments: