Friday, July 27, 2007

B.U.I.

BUI, pronounced like buoy, is bicycling under the influence. I first heard about a BUI when I was doing jury duty in 2004. A lawyer was interviewing us prospective jurors for a DUI case and he asked me how I get home from the bar. I told him I bike. He told me that's illegal and called a BUI.

To me, biking home from the bar is ideal. If I am completely inebriated which doesn't happen very often, I will call and beg a ride off a friend. However, if I am just buzzed, I LOVE to bike.

Friday, I went to Night Light for the first time. I had my standard rum and coke with a splash of grenadine in it. Actually, I had several of them. I was probably closer to drunk than I was to buzzed but I still biked it and I made it home fine. I took well-lit, low-traffic roads that I was very familiar with and I made it here.

I had a great time there. It was my friend Jenn's b-day (happy b-day!!!) and lots of people I don't get to see very often were there. I don't think that I would've had half as good of a time if I knew I had to hold back because I was driving or if I knew I was going to have to inconvenience someone for a ride. Go bike (but go responsibly).

No comments: