Thursday, July 19, 2007

to hug and to be hugged in return

Never underestimate the power of one good hug.

That's sound sappy and sickeningly sweet but it's true.

A client hugged me today. That was nothing new. But this time, I hugged him back. He snuck up behind me while I was sitting at my desk and just hugged me. Normally, I just let them hug and then tell them that's enough. We aren't supposed to hug because of how it could be construed or how some sickos could take advantage of the clients. It also puts you in a disadvantaged position to escape if the client was to suddenly become violent. However, this guy had a really bad day the day before. When he was leaving, he got in an argument with another client. She ended up pushing his head against the window. He ended up getting kicked off the bus and then he tore off his clothing and bit himself hard out of frustration. I saw him shortly after this episode. I took some time to talk him down and into a calmer state. I could tell he was still unnerved though. Then today, he just walked in silently and hugged me with the saddest look on his face. It was heartbreaking. I hugged him back, not for too long but just long enough for him to relax a bit. I could tell it helped him. It helped me. Whatever else went on that day, I knew that I had already helped someone with such as simple gesture of caring and understanding.

No comments: