Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Shrew, you guys. I'm going home.

(I love good word play. In case you didn't get the title, it's a reference to South Park.)
I generally hate holidays. I'm not a scrooge or anything. I just hate being told when I should be having fun. I don't even like celebrating Gay Pride because I'm usually proud anyway and don't need a committee to tell me when to be more proud. The 4th of July is no exception. It was nice to have the day off work but I really didn't have any interest in the fireworks. That, combined with a healthy lack of patriotism leaves me with nothing to celebrate. So Arturo and I took Dean to the woods.

We went on the Salmon River/Huckleberry Wilderness hike. It was a good escape for all of us. It's cool how everything out there is oblivious to whatever is going on in the human world. While hiking back, we stopped for a bit and Dean took a nap. The poor guy was tired and missed his couch. Also, a shrew ran on the path in front of us. I have never seen one in the wild before. I put my hands down and it ran up my hand and jumped off. So damn cool!

When we were driving back later that night, we left the serenity of the forest and were greeted by the loud bangs and crack of explosives. It was such a harsh mind-fuck. At least I escaped it for one day.

No comments: