Wednesday, June 13, 2007

zen and the art of lawn maintenance


I love mowing the lawn. However, the electric mower that came with the house broke down earlier this spring. Since then, we've only mowed once and now our grass is LONG. I mean long like when I mow it, I feel like the farmer who is about to destroy Mrs. Frisby's house and cause her sick child turmoil and that'll result in the rats in the rose bush getting out and wreaking havoc on the house. Super-intelligent rats do frighten me BUT it was a risk I had to take because my dog doesn't like to poo in tall grass. So I went out and bought an electric mower (it was my first time) from Fairly Honest Bill's (my first time buying anything from him) and mowed the lawn down.

Mowing is meditation time for me, similar to raking patterns in the sand but I'm at least getting shit done this way. I strap on my I-pod, listen to some fun music and sing just loud enough that the whirr of the mower will drown out my voice.

(The above pic is of Loki [aka Big Kitty or The Biggest Baby in the Whole Wide World] in our lawn. He is a big kitty and the grass totally dwarfed him. That's how tall the grass was.)

No comments: