Tuesday, March 1, 2011

a new people day

I'm typically a shy guy so I'm always impressed when I meet new people and it's not through work or other friends.  Tonight, I met two guys, one who identified as a bear (the gay kind, not the animal but I needed a photo illustration so that's how I ended up with the above pic) and the other was a random stranger with a gas can.  It was an interesting night.

Dan the bear seems like a nice guy and I might contact him again.  We met at a club.  Outside the club, I was in my car, ready to go when a older guy walked up with his gas can and asked me for a lift to the gas station.  Alarms go off when I am approached by a stranger in the parking lot of a gay club.  That's where I would expect to get bashed.  Initially, I started to tell him know but he looked so beat down that I let the good samaritan in me take over and gave him a ride.  In hindsight, it sounds crazy.  He got in my car with a gas can and directed me to the nearest gas station since I'm not familiar with gas stations in that area.  I did hesitate when he told me to turn down a dark residential road.  His assurance of, "Don't worry, I'm not going to kill you," really didn't put my mind at ease.  After we came to the gas station, he found out they wouldn't take his debit card so I drove him to the grocery store across the street so he could get cash, drove him back to the gas station and then to his car.  I feel good for doing so, especially since I didn't get mugged/attacked/dead.  I would consider myself to normally err on the side of caution but I went with my gut instinct and also with the assumption that I could kick this guy's ass if I needed to.

So, go me.  I met two people; one of whom I am potentially interested in seeing again and another of whom I believe I really helped out.

No comments: