Sunday, March 6, 2011

celebrating youth

Iain (or Mr Whiskers) celebrated his first birthday. I haven't seen the lil guy yet and I hadn't seen Josie since her baby shower so we took a quick day trip up to Seattle today.  Also, I took the trip because I was starting to feel old yesterday and I wanted to do something more free.

Yesterday, my younger brother Eric turned 30.  Two days before that, my friend Dominic turned 40.  Next month, my mom will be 60.  Sorry to broadcast everyone's age but, damn, where has the time gone?  I remember when my uncle Randy (my dad's youngest brother) turned 30.  It seems like a while ago but it's something I can easily recall.  I remember when my parents and all of their friends turned 40.  Once a year, we would all (four families of friends including the kids) would all meet in a hotel in Grand Island because it was half-way between Hartington, NE (where they all lived) and Wallace, NE where we lived.  Each year for a good string of years, I remembered them breaking out the "Over the Hill" decor and blowing up the black balloons.

Maybe I'm just too immature for my age or maybe it's because most of my close friends (with the exception of Ashes, Victory, Dominic and now Josie) do not have kids but I just don't think of us as being at the "Over the Hill" age or even close to it.  However, I might in five years.  I don't know.  Even though I don't feel like we should all be around that age, it's undeniably true.  That brings me down but just for a moment.  Age is just a number and not a dictation which says you now have to act a certain way.  The whole 'you're only as old as you feel' line is a bit overused but it's apt in this case.  I don't feel old so I refuse to act that way.

Seattle was fun.  We didn't do any sight-seeing and only hit one stop besides the party.  It was fabulous seeing Josie again.  I swear that I am going to make it up there this year for a walking tour of Seattle.  My housemates actually went up to Seattle last weekend and both came back sick as hell.  Raven wasn't sick and he didn't hold the baby so the assumption was that the baby was the messenger of ill tidings.  Therefore, I was a little nervous picking him up but I gave in shortly after he woke up.  His little baby friend Collin was also adorable.  He was in the 'I-can-only-scoot-backwards' stage and loved all of Josie's cats so I got to enjoy watching him hustle in reverse to try to snag himself a kitty.

Surprisingly, watching a one year old celebrate his birthday did in fact make me feel less old.  Maybe it's because some of my friends have babies and none of them have teenagers yet or maybe it's because I think that having a kid of my own would age me considerably.  Whatever the reason, I'm going to celebrate my youth because I have a long way to go.

What else?
Sophia and I have decided to do vegan pizza this month.  However, since we did go to Wayward Cafe today in Seattle, I had the vegan Reuben.  I'm not sure where it sits exactly in the scoring but it's in the top four even though it doesn't really count because it's not a Portland item.

I also told Raven about me moving out.  He seemed to take it well but I am anticipating that was just his initial reaction.  Still, I promised him that he can crash on my couch when he goes through his sixteen-year-old rebellion.

No comments: