Saturday, March 5, 2011

jolly good fun

Ah, I'm alive again.  I love a good group ride, especially one that's costumed (and costumed well at that!).  Today was the first tweed ride of the year.  Yes, there is another.  This was the Virtuous Ride.  I think what made it Virtuous is the fact that it stopped at a tea shoppe.  Next month is the Vice Ride which will probably end up at a pub.

Martin, Tim and I continued the tradition of brunching at Bijou Cafe before the ride.  Unfortunately, Sophia couldn't join us until later due to morning commitments.  I'm going to be glad for the vice ride just because it doesn't meet up until 4pm.  I did enjoy this ride though.  My favorite things were of course the costumes but also the cart pictured above with the dog in it.  She was such a patient dog.  I wish Dean could ride like that.  Maybe one day...  Also, there were a lot more kids this year which was cool to see.  Also, the pictures!  Martin got a great pic of us which you can see here.

I'm kind of disappointed that we didn't stick with the ride longer but the problem with a lot of these mass rides is that they end up parking for way too long of a wait and I wanna ride dammit.  :)  We bailed after the first stop.  Hopefully the Vice ride will be smoother running (or maybe we'll get tipsy and won't mind hanging out.)

What else?
I volunteered for a wine auction for my internship.  I just really wanted a new thing and, if I had realized it was on the same day as my tweed ride when I signed up months ago, I would have thought better of it.  It was okay but the idea of a wine auction carries a lot more prestige than my actual experience did.  I didn't feel up to wearing a tux so I volunteered to do cleanup.  That meant that I worked with two other people who were around my age and 12 or so high school kids.  These aren't kids from the program either.  They're younger and don't really have a lot invested in pitching in.  I kind of felt like I was babysitting.  I'm not sure that I'll do it again next year, even if I did get some free wine glasses this year.

No comments: