Saturday, March 19, 2011

j256: the great depression

The J party is an annual event that can exceed epic proportions.  I haven't always had a great time at the J parties but I always look forward to them.  Some of them have been absolute joy and others have been less so.  Still, all of them have been memorable.  This year's party was scaled down quite a bit due to budgetary constraints.  People is broke!

We called it the great depression (or recession) party.  We still had the hot tubs and the dinner but the party took place at my house instead of a larger venue.  Therefore, a lot less people were invited and even less people showed up.  As a general rule, our house parties have about the same attendance.  Still, smaller is not lesser and I was grateful to see all of the people that showed up.

Joe Ball, the other J party DJ, couldn't make it this year because the party was on a Saturday for the first year instead of a Friday.  That meant the heft of the DJ'ing fell onto my shoulders.  It was a four hour and thirty minute set.  I have enough tunes to make it through that but, man, who would have thought pushing buttons on a computer could be so exhausting.  Afterwards, I was a bit frazzled and just needed to leave.  Fortunately, I had made other sleeping arrangements so I could leave the party in good spirits instead of being forced to listen to the party from my room until 6am which has made many other parties leave a bad taste in my memory.  However, for me, this party will be remembered for it's unconventional J party nature but not really in a negative way.

What else?
I had to take a cab back with some friends from the hot tubs due to seating constraints and not so great planning.  I haven't been in a cab for about eight years and that was just when a friend's friend's date was paying for it.  M2 had this awesome cab application, Taxi Magic, for his phone which not only allowed him to "call" a cab but also to pay for the fare without any necessary human interaction.  Crazy.

No comments: