Thursday, March 24, 2011

being a people person

I often talk about how easy my job is.  Today will not be one of those days.  While it wasn't easy, I do think I made it look that way.

I had two separate clients have two unrelated melt-downs today. I've dealt with the male client today with this same issue. His current staff members haven't experienced it before. Basically, he's developing behavior problems and we don't know where his outbursts are coming from. He's cited dreams, family, stress, work and various other issues being responsible for him just freaking out during the day and screaming. It breaks my heart but it doesn't surprise me anymore. I was able to approach him calmly and directly and at least get him to a manageable state.

The other client who had a hard day today was devastated because her "boyfriend" (a former supervisor that she has a crush on) hasn't been in to the store and she's convinced that some other staff member has his phone number.  I had to have a frank talk with her to let her know that, no, we don't have the number and really, he was just a friend, not her boyfriend.  It took a long time but it seemed to finally become a truth for her.  Then I had to deal with the fact that she felt worthless because she didn't have a boyfriend.  Here's where I took a page from the book of Sophia and told her that she can be a strong independent woman and she doesn't need a boyfriend to give her life meaning.  I stressed the other relationships (primarily friendships) in her life and told her that they were significant and meant that she was loved.  I also simplified things and said, "I don't have a girlfriend and I'm happy."  I think it worked because she began smiling afterwards and was able to go back to work.

I got a lot of kudos for the work I did today and it felt like it was especially important work.  I get so caught up in just going through the motions of my job and shuffling paperwork around that I rarely get the opportunity to have meaningful interactions with my clients.

What else?
Sophia and I checked out Circa 33 today (pictured above).  It was awesome.  It used to be half It's a Beautiful Pizza.  The other half is taken up by Hall of Records.   They fixed the acoustics problem that IBP had and I believe they also lowered their price, making it downright affordable.  I had two Yorkshire Toddy's which were made with Earl Grey Tea and maple syrup instead of honey.  I also had one of the most fabulous veggie "burgers" in Portland, the lentil and mushroom burger.  I will most definitely be going back, especially since it will be in my new hood!

No comments: