Wednesday, May 19, 2010

squeaky wheel

I have a problem with authority.  However, my problem isn't just a general hatred of people telling me what to do.  It's more of a problem of not being respected and listened to just because someone has authority over me.

I talked to my teacher today who gave me the F last week.  I think that sending her an e-mail in advance was a mistake because it gave her a chance to critically think about her position.  I should have just waited until class, come prepared to defend my work and taken her by surprise with my persistence.  However, she had time to think it over and strategize with her co-teacher and they had believed that the grading for this assignment was going to be a bell-curve and someone had to flunk and I was that someone.

If she had at least said, "Okay, I see your point," about one of the points I had, I would've dropped it and settled for even a higher failing grade.  However, she said she wouldn't change it so I went to the student adviser for our department and asked her about appealing the grade or dropping the course.  Dropping the course would cost me $900.  I'm stubborn so I just might do it.

What else?
In better academic news, I went hear a different professor talk about the Life Span of GLBTQQ (gay, lesbian, bisexual, trans, queer and questioning) community.  It's interesting because you'd think that there would be a lot of similarities.  We're all human.  We grow up physically the same.  However, there is so much shit that goes on in the GLBTQQ lifespan that straight people don't have to worry about.  I've experienced a lot of it myself.  It's odd that it hasn't struck me as unfair or as an obstacle that is applied to all queer identified people.  It's really good that I took this one-time class after the other one because I actually left campus happy....

...that is, until I biked to work in the rain.  I'm used to it but my pants and items in my pocket got soaked, including my cell phone.  A co-worker had the idea of putting it in a bowl of rice to absorb the moisture.  After sitting in rice at home for several hours, it began working again.  You learn something new every day.

No comments: