Sunday, May 24, 2009

noteworthy attractions


I went to the Rose Festival for the first time today. Maybe I would've been impressed if I was eleven again but all I could help thinking was, "There are too many people in the world." Part of this concept was due to the number of FBI (female body inspector) t-shirts I saw. The other part was due to the menagerie of animals that were penned up there.

There was a good number of animals in too small of cages. Some don't exist in the wild anymore. Why is that acceptable? The oddest thing I saw though was a tabby cat. They penned up a good sized house cat and called it either a bobcat.Anyway, it was ridiculous.

However, I also met Christopher Bibby, a local artist originally from the UK. His artwork was far more fascinating than anything else within the fair. It was worth the price of admission alone. I ended up buying three of his art blocks and a friend bought three as well. This artist's perspective on Portland as well as a handful of other settings was really what I needed to change my outlook on my surroundings.



2 comments:

justin said...

some 50 year old guy wearing a "female body inspector shirt", holding his wife's hand while checking out the young girls ... penned up animals ... tons of cops (also checking out the girls) ... a national guard, marines, and psoriasis booth ... ultra-tanned, raspy-voiced carnival guys with beer guts and moustaches ... authentic giros that aren't really giros at all ... it was a bad scene. nice day though ... bibby indeed saved that experience.

topher darling said...

Don't forget the strawberries dipped in chocolate and covered with oreos. Dingleberries!