Sunday, August 22, 2010

stuffed

One of the most memorable sections in Stephen King's The Stand was an early chapter, where the older lady (who lived in Nebraska) was surviving post-apocalypse on her farm on her own and began talking about true hunger and not just eating on a schedule but actually feeling hungry.  This struck a chord with me years and years ago when I read it because it's easy to recognize the domesticated scheduling of meal times and how that has contributed to our gluttony and greed.  We don't always eat just because we're hungry.  Sometimes we eat because that's just what we do at this time.

Meals are regular for me and I hardly skip one, except for on the weekends.  If I want to sleep in, lunch becomes breakfast and dinner comes early.  Today, we went to the Cricket Cafe for breakfast which came late.  Not only did it take us a while to get our table but AN HOUR after we got there and had put in our order, the waiter comes over to apologize, saying he spaced on putting our order in and was willing to comp our drinks.  This worked out okay for me because I had ordered an Angry Claus Coffee which was about $7.  However, it meant we had a super-long meal.

As soon as we finished there, we headed to Fred Meyers to buy food to prepare for dinner which came a short 3.5 hours later.  I am so full right now, it is ridiculous.  I don't think that eating only when you're starving is healthy because your body will begin breaking down muscle tissue and you'll probably end up eating more to satisfy your hungry.  However, I also don't think that eating just for the sake of eating is a great idea either.  There has to be a good balance.  That being said, dinner (pictured above) was amazing.  It's too bad I could only eat half of it though.

No comments: