Saturday, August 7, 2010

bike mentor

I love Doctor Who.   First off, it's British.  10 points for that.  Then, it's written by Russell T Davies, the creator of Queer As Folk. 30 points there.  Thirdly, it's a fun, enjoyable show which requires just the right amount of thinking but still can pack an emotional punch.  It's techinically science fiction but it does so much better with the fiction than it does with the science.  Still, it's a lot of fun.  40 points.  However, the thing I love most about the show is that it has given Raven and I something to bond over.  Not that long ago, I decided to test out the show and watched it with Raven.  (We're watching the new Who, not the old ones.)  Since then, Raven and I have watched each episode, most of them together.

We watched the last one yesterday.  Now we're caught up and have to wait until Christmas.  I'm kind of sad about that, not because I'll miss the show but because Raven got so excited over it. 

This morning, I was planning on heading to see the Brunch on the Bridge celebration on the Hawthorne Bridge.  For this bridge celebration, they laid sod on the bridge for a few hours this morning.  Raven was looking bored and we didn't have anymore Who to watch so I invited him to bike down to the bridge with me.  We haven't gone on this big of a bike trip before together.  I think this could be one of the biggest bike trips Raven has taken.  We took a path that I commute on daily so I was able to show Raven all of the neat little bike nuances along the way.

The Brunch on the Bridge was A)pathetic and B)expensive.  I don't imagine it was a cheap feat to pull off but it was also kind of silly.  There was a small amount of entertainment on the grass to go along with the small patch of grass you got to sit on.  $40 per person for the ability to sit in grass on the bridge seemed unreasonable to both of us so Raven and I walked around a bit and then biked back home.  I was really excited about seeing the Grass originally but, if it was going to suck, I'm at least glad I took Raven down there with me because that definitely made the experience.  Hopefully, we can make biking a regular habit.

What else?
Jess and I had some Hot Monkey vodka drinks at C-Bar.  The bartender was cool and made up the drinks for us based upon Jess's interest in the Hot Monkey.  It was damn hot but pretty good.

No comments: