Monday, August 16, 2010

memories from wallace high

I love these ladies!  Terri, (on the top), Lisa (on the right) and I haven't seen a lot of each other for the past six years but I still consider them two of my best friends.  Hanging out with them over the past day and a half has proved that I am a good judge of character. 

Lisa's parents and my parents worked together for years.  Our mom's even co-owned a home-based business together.  She was the first person I met in my class in Wallace school.  Terri and I went through art together in high school, bonding over our mutual artistic inclinations and our hatred of World History.  The three of us went to Speech Camp together the summer before our junior year so we were all dorks together, participating in drama club together along with speech club.

If I had to leave Portland, Zach, Terri and Lisa have made Omaha my number two choice for a place to live in the US.  I have family, friends and a couple of leads for good places to eat there.  Plus I know from previous experience that there is at least one gay bar here I'd visit.  It would be nice though if there were more cyclists.  Still, my friends helped me see Omaha as a tolerable place, which is something I would have previously thought possible.

Earlier, Zach and I hung out during the day and watched a lot of Chelsea Lately.  I now love this show.  Chelsea is hilarious.  Yes, she's kind of offensive but it's clear where her love lies.  She's very body-positive and queer-celebratory.  Plus she's a dog owner.  We're good people.

The food on this trip has been the most vegetarian friendly food I've had in Nebraska.  My family made some awesome dishes for me on Friday and Saturday.  Eating out today was great.  Jason's Deli was our lunch spot, where Terri and I again ordered the same dish; a portobella sandwich.  We ate at McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe.  The only reason this place would not succeed in Portland is there's too many places around like it, which is what I love about Portland.  However, Omaha should celebrate that it has such a great place.  I don't think I've seen tempeh served anywhere else in town.  Plus they grow their own veggies.  If I lived in Omaha, I would hang out here all of the time.

Another nice feature of the Cafe was that it was near the Crescent Moon Ale House which is where we went for drinks.  They have an amazing beer selection and multiple bars which have different selections, the German bar and the Belgium bar.  I got stuck on a nice light Belgium beer.  Again, it was just nice to hang out with my friends but great food and drinks make the experience even better.

No comments: