Sunday, August 15, 2010

from a different perspective

I got a new outlook on Omaha today, both literally and figuratively.  I went for a ride in the "Skyfari" today in the zoo which is basically a much-appreciated ski lift that goes over a bit of the zoo.  I haven't seen the rhinos in years because they're up a hill but I got a overhead view of them today.

The zoo was fun but the movie Happy Feet has forever ruined zoos for me.  Watching the otters get fed was fun.  I also went the Madagascar exhibit for the first time.  It was disappointing and I would have rather have done the jungle or the desert.  But it was good fun family time.

However, I also got a new outlook on Omaha courtesy of my friends Terri, Lisa and Zach.  Terri, Lisa and I were good friends from junior high and high school.  I haven't seen them in a long six years.  It's crazy.  I haven't seen them since I've been in my thirties.  Lisa's lived in Omaha for a while but Terri and her husband Zach moved there a year ago.  It worked out great for me though this time because I could see them both and my family and I don't have to leave the city.

Having been in Omaha for a while, Lisa's developed a community here and has been able to integrate Terri and Zach into it well, making for fun feel to the city.  Lisa's also scoped restaurants and found a great vegetarian/vegan friendly restaurant called Ingredient where you could either build your own salad/sandwich/pizza or choose some of their pre-planned options, some of which were vegan.

It was great.  I am always amazed when I find vegetarian options in Omaha but this was a place that had options and none of my friends had been there before and they had FALAFEL!  Terri and I each had the Tofu Philly which was good although it didn't taste like a Philly whatsoever.

Afterwards, we went to the Holiday Lounge where we lounged and discussed awesome TV shows.  When we could all agree that Veronica Mars was an awesome show (at least the first 2 seasons), I knew that I was in good company.

No comments: