Wednesday, June 27, 2012

dink's like eating out

A co-worker commented to me that I eat out really well as in, "How the hell do you afford it?" Yes, I eat out a lot and I know I don't make a lot of money, not even as much as my co-worker. However, I buy all my clothes second-hand, I don't drink to the point of having large bar tabs, I don't pay car insurance, my hobby is riding my bike (or walking my dog) and I don't have loans so yes, I treat myself well and eat out at good places. I also don't have kids so, when Andrew and I go out, we each become what marketing strategists refer at as "DINK"s. DINK stands for Double Income, No Kids. When I first joined Queer Revolution years and years ago, I researched the idea of dinks to see why companies were targeting queers for advertising and the term dink kept coming up. I don't like being a marketing target but I guess they want me. Well, the Armani Exchange can bug off because my dollars go to my appetite.

As a sink (single instead of double), I had lunch at Sushi Mazi on Division. I never dine out for sushi by myself but I needed a new thing and this was on my way back to work. It was really good, especially with the Thai iced tea. But it was a little pricey.

Later in the evening, Andrew and I went out as dinks to eat at the Caldera Public House. We've been here before but I think today is the first time I've had their eggplant sandwich and I know it's the first time I've had their chocolate martini which is now my favorite chocolate martini in town!

Afterwards, we rode to the top of Tabor to watch the sun go down. See, we'll spend a little bit to eat out but in the end, we're cheap dates.

What else?
I don't remember what my new thing was on Tuesday but on Monday, I ate a new slice of "pizza" at Pizzacato. I use the term pizza loosely because it had garbanzo beans, artichoke hearts and a spicey green sauce on it instead of actual pizza items but it was delicious!

No comments: