Thursday, June 21, 2012

biomimicry

 I went to a speech tonight at Science Pub, a bi-monthly event that OMSI puts on, usually at McMenamins' pub theaters. Today, Richard Louv was speaking about biomimicry. I don't have any particular interest in this and, really, I didn't even know what it was before going to the speech but I was looking for a new thing to do and Sophia's talked up the Science Pubs quite a bit so I decided to give it a shot.

It was very educational and right on with my line of thinking. To sum up what I learn, we as people have pretty much assigned ourselves to either sticking our head in the ground and not thinking about the future or we've accepted that the future will be some post-apocalyptic wasteland where true nature (a vast diversity of flora and fauna) will be a distant memory. I guess I subscribe to the latter category. However, assigning ourselves to a shitty fate is making us lethargic about being able to do anything to change it. It's become a self-fulfilling prophecy now.

Sustainability really isn't the key either as it implies just maintaining an equilibrium with nature which is a difficult balance to keep up. Instead, we need to be more creative and look to nature to model our dwellings, our habits and our lives after. Ignore the hippie connotations of this concept but we need to become one with nature. We also need to get our kids back into nature. Kids are lost in a world of technology and ADHD diagnoses. By making nature a more relevant part of our kids lives, nature will become more valued and incorporated. I think that's about it.

Anyway, I think that I could spend days at this guy's seminar. I should probably just buy his book. However, I've got too many other books to read right now and it's summer. Biomimicry isn't exactly light reading.

What else?
Speaking of summer and school, I got my grades back yesterday. Another A. That's another whole year of solid A's!

No comments: