Sunday, February 21, 2010

sweet creek falls

 
I took the long way home today and went to Sweet Creek Falls.  I googled Suislaw National Forest since I was going to drive back through there to get home to see what attractions there were.  I saw that they had some falls and decided that I had to see them.  Fortunately, it's only 10 miles of paved road out of the way and the hike itself was 1 mile in and 1 mile out of absolute beauty.  

I climbed out onto a rock next to the creek to get a photo of some of the falls and fell in.  There was still frost around so I should have figured it'd be slick. I didn't die.  I just got my butt and shoes wet but I saved my camera.  Dean came out to try to help me but he could barely walk on the deck of the rental house without falling down so I ended up having to help him back up as well.

We both made it out okay though and got back to town with no issues.  Overall, it was an amazing trip in it's peacefulness.  The rental house (Bayshore Rentals in Waldport) was great, reasonably priced with a very friendly, non-intrusive staff.  The rental car (Dollar Rentals) was nice but the clerk sort of misled me.  He asked if I wanted "insurance" on the car for just an extra $21.  I didn't want to buy a Ford Focus if something were to happen so I got the insurance.  It turns out that it was $21/day.  Oh well, it was still worth it.

When I got back, I got a call from Dominic who wanted to know where the hell I had been.  I told him and he seemed surprised and shocked that I went off by myself and wasn't willing to take any other human along.  I think that some people just aren't wired that way.  When I took the Myers-Briggs test, it showed that I am really introverted.  While some may see this as a social problem, it really just means I draw my energy from within and not from other people.  I need the time alone to process things.  And it worked.  I feel ready to tackle the world again.

What else?
Dean apparently needs his own bed and bedroom.  While I was in the house the first night, working on my computer in the living room, I noticed Dean wasn't on the floor.  I found that he had chosen his bed (before I had) and slept there both nights.  It was weird that I had to get him up in the mornings.

Also, I decided that I had to get out on Sunday night and reconnect with humanity.  I met some friends at Zach's Shack for some drinks and dogs.  My bike has decided to work against me as the back breaks are locking up whenever I go up a hill.  I think it may be time for a new bike.  And Jesse gave me a book about a dog (not the Marley book) that I went looking for this weekend.  I want school to be done with so I can take some me time to read it.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

The creek looks so beautiful! And of course the sunset, too. I'm totally jealous. BTW, I think if you use a credit (not a debit) card to rent the car you get insurance that way, so you don't have to buy what they offer. Might want to double check, tho.