Monday, February 22, 2010

dry run

For my theory class, we have to do a group presentation on how one developmental theory views a social work problem.  The theory we chose to use is the feminist theory and the social work "problem" is the overt sexualization of women in the media and how it affects a 'healthy' sexual development for an adolescent girl.

I tried not to work on homework this weekend but I couldn't avoid this presentation because it's due on Wednesday and we had not yet as a group run through it.  We had worked on the powerpoint but we were kind of just hoping that all of our info would blend together nicely to make a thorough presentation.  I rehearsed my section this weekend but I really don't have a problem public speaking.

Some of the media we chose to examine is music videos.  Luckily, we narrowed it down to just one video, My Humps which is perfect for the topic.  The idea is to not skew the audience and let them judge for themselves whether the media is objectifying women.  My Humps is sung by Fergie so it's questionable if it's empowering (Libertarian Feminists view sex for the fun of it as liberating because it's not for reproduction) or oppressive (as the Radical Feminists view it).  We also looked at video games which employ disproportionate body figures and skin tight outfits.  I've played the game pictured above (Final Fantasy X2) and I thought of it as liberating in a sense because it's sisters, doing it for themselves.  But then again, there's those short shorts.  The guys in FF are not dressed in skin tight skimpy outfits.

My new thing was running through this and checking out a practice room at the library.  It's a great resource.  The practice wasn't perfect but I think that it'll pass.  There was also some disagreement about what we were going to use in the presentation.  I guess that's a group presentation that takes everyone's opinions into consideration.  I think it'll work out for the best though...hopefully.

No comments: