Thursday, April 9, 2009

other duties as assigned

This morning, shortly after I arrived to work, my boss called me into her office. Right away, as she usually does, she said, "Don't worry. It's not a bad thing." This time she was lying.

My company hosts a recognition luncheon annually for people that have been with the company for 15, 20, 25, etc years. This year, my friend Connie was being recognized for 20 years. My boss was scheduled to speak about her and instead chose me and a co-worker to sing about her.

At the bottom of almost every job description I've ever signed, it says, "Other Duties As Assigned," leaving the boss fully open to exploit you proper when the time comes. This was that time.

She said she was going to read a paragraph about Connie and, every now and then, she would make a reference to a song. For example, she talked about how Connie had to work with blowtorches so my co-worker and I had to sing the chorus to "Light My Fire." When she would say things like Que Sera Sera, we had to sing, "Whatever will be, will be."

My boss enjoys being the kooky one and she makes work fun so I usually don't mind. However, most of the people I work around were at this meeting and I hadn't had anything to drink so how was I supposed to sing? Well, I did it anyway. Ashes took a video of it for her but I'm not going to include a link to that. His audio was bad because it was with his cellphone and it was just embarrassing anyway.

No comments: