Tuesday, April 28, 2009

giving credit what credit is due

I moved to Portland thanks to unemployment checks and credit cards. I got a credit card shortly after starting at the UNK years ago and initially, I was paying off my entire balance each month. However, upon moving to Portland, I got further and further into debt. At one point, I was living off a package of veggie dogs a week and the rest of my money was going to credit card companies (and the bars).

However, I called my dad who knows a thing or two about finances and he told me to keep transferring my balances to one card and then try to transfer that balance eventually to a card that had a 0% APR on balance transfers. As soon as that introductory offer runs out, move onto the next card. And that's what I've been doing. And today, I finally paid the fuckers off.

We watched a documentary about the secret history of credit cards tonight and it made me feel like a dolt for even having one card so I checked what I had in the bank and determined I could get it all paid off tonight.

I still have debt due to student loans and eye surgery but now I have one less bill to pay each month for the first time in a LONG time. Wooo-Hooo!

No comments: