Sunday, March 1, 2009

a musing environments

Ever since I can remember, I wanted to be a writer. It really upset me to hear writers say, "Don't plan on making a living writing. You don't write for money." It demolished me time and time again because I didn't want to make a living any other way. I was always very opposed to work. However, I have a job that I like now and now I write for fun.

The hardest part of writing for me is the inspiration and the setting. I'm not talking about the setting of the piece I'm writing but the setting in which I'm in where I can feel comfortable writing. There has to be easy music in the background, I have to be sitting comfortably and I have to have something to drink (coffee, tea, water or alcohol). Lately, I've been trying to write more but I've also been wanting a better environment in which to do it. Tonight, I went to the Pub at the End of the Universe early, just to write. I was meeting a friend there but I was actually in the writing mode by the time they arrived and I thought, I will have to do this more often.

So maybe it's not completely a new thing but it's a new mode for me. The Pub is a good muse. There are good vibes there and, except for Monday night, usually not a lot of people. I'm looking forward to heading there again with my notebook and a pen ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I've gotten stoned and brought my laptop there to pound at the keys. Good vibes for writing, I'd say. Beer is good, too, but after three the typing starts to get sloppy ...