Tuesday, March 24, 2009

root of the problem

This borders on abuse and I should be ashamed. I've been meaning to re-pot my office plant for some time now but I kept putting it off. Today, I poured water into the pot and it ran out, down my file cabinet and across my flat screen monitor. That was it's way of letting me know that I have put it off for too long.

I brought it home and tried to take it out of it's pot. The roots had grown through the outer pot and were bunching up around the bottom of the pot. I broke them off and pulled off the outer pot to find the roots completely surrounding the inner pot which I also had to break off. I actually did feel really neglectful of the thing, like the time in junior high when I had a tree crab and went to feed it for the first time in weeks and it's legs fell out when I picked up the shell. This plant's not a dog but it's a living thing and I should take better care of it.

No comments: