Wednesday, March 4, 2009

OIS

I spent all of my workday today in a room in Gresham. I'll be here tomorrow too. I'm at a training for work on Oregon Intervention Systems. I've had the training two years ago but they wisely make you go to these trainings every two years to stay on top of things. Basically, it's how to avoid and then handle confrontations with the developmentally disabled. Today was a great training and I met some pretty cool people that I'm glad are in the field.

One guy I met is a paid neighbor. It's one of the most unusual jobs in the social services field I've ever heard of. Basically, this guy is paid (and presumably has rent paid as well) to live in a six apartment complex with five people with DD. He's paid to assist them, to be there to talk, to help them with meals, dispense meds...basically to just be a friend. It'd be odd because you'd always be on the job but, as he explained it, you're just living your life. There's no 'on the job' and 'on break.' It's a real radical way to think about support for people who need it. I love my job but, I'm not sure I'd be up for it immersing my life like that.

No comments: