Thursday, August 2, 2012

chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool

It's too damn hot. I wouldn't have been drawn to the Pacific Northwest if I wanted to live in hot weather. Fortunately, it's not going to last that long...hopefully.

It's only been in the high 80s but it supposed to reach the mid 90s this weekend. Really, that's not too bad when I think of the 100 degree days that I used to spend in Nebraska, specifically the times when I didn't have air-conditioning. I remember once sitting around our shack of a house with Brian. We were just both in running shorts and nothing else with our door propped wide open to try to capture any breeze at all as we watched the Simpsons. Neither of us were moving for fear of bringing on the sweat when a rottweiler strode into our living room like he owned the place. Again, we didn't move and he just stood there looking at us, not wagging his tail but not growling either. He eventually left and we were able to then shut the door. I can't exactly remember what we did then but I'd guess we went to Hastings where our friend ran a movie theater where we could just hang out all day and watch movies for free.

It doesn't get nearly that hot here but when you're not used to it at all, these days can be dreadful. Sleeping is particularly difficult. After going without sleep for a few days now, I decided that I wasn't doing a damn thing today and it felt awesome. Also, my hammock in back is a lot better setup than a hot living room.

What else?
My new thing today was buying wine from a vendor at the Buckman Farmer's Market and also buying a loaf of bread. I started reading the Hunger Games yesterday because Sophia has a copy and recommended it. It's really good and it made bread sound like a delicious idea so I discovered a fresh bread vendor at the Farmer's Market which was delightful.

My new things yesterday and the day before were both work things. I had to do a training for new staff on Tuesday. We present a full day of training as a team every other month and normally, I train at the end of the day but due to scheduling conflicts, I went first today. I like going last better because then I get to let the class go a little early. Still, I met some new people, in particular, one new guy who I'm going to be working with at one of my stores.

Today, I toured a store in Beaverton with one of my participants and then met her skills trainer. She asked me a bunch of questions about the clients' work ability and I was impressed by how knowledgeable and professional I sounded. Go me!

No comments: