Tuesday, August 21, 2012

dog day afternoon

I don't see how parents do it. How do you hold this responsibility constantly? I guess kids are generally smarter than dogs and wouldn't destroy an office and then hide in the closet just because the FedEx guy opened the screen door to put a package in between the doors.

After I saw this, I sort of lost it. I don't mean that I lost my temper but I had lost my patience. It was so initially frustrating (why is he doing this? did i make a mistake moving him over a year ago? can i really support myself and be happy by working out of home so i can at least help keep him from doing this again possibly??) that I knew I should have just excused myself from everything else tonight just to fret over it all and come up with some answers.

Instead, I arrived at my date with Andrew and was just preoccupied.I was bordering on cranky about the fact that I had to deal with it. I had an awesome soup at Blue Moon Lounge downtown while waiting for a Science Pub at the Mission Theater. We went to the theater to discover that they were at capacity. This added disappointment and confusion to my frustration and crankiness and I had to tell Andrew that I was done and I needed to go stew over it all.

It was the best idea because I didn't want to take it out on him and I needed time to think about it and properly process it. I felt bad about leaving tho because I've never left a date before and it just seems rude. Anyway, I did get a chance to ponder it with my beer and hammock and book. I realized I can't be mad at the dog because he's obviously just scared and that's not his fault. I'm not going to pay for therapy so I'll just employ some harm-reduction. I asked everyone to not get packages delivered to the house. I'll ensure that the office and shower doors are each closed properly so he can't go in there if he wants to hide. I'll also leave the bathroom door open so he can choose to go in there and just shut the door if he must hide. I've been home when we've gotten a delivery, unbeknownst to the delivery guy so I know that the delivery guy isn't deliberately frightening him. If I didn't, my first step would be to survail my house to see if he's doing something messed up.

So, yeah, I'm good. Now I just have to make it okay with Andrew tomorrow.

What else?
I finished the Hunger Games series today. I burned through book 1 and book 2 but took my time with 3 because I enjoyed the storytelling and I was a little less ready to let it go. It's a surprisingly radical series that I'd definitely recommend for a fun summer week read. 

No comments: