Monday, March 26, 2012

my awesome boring sick day bike ride

I know I just posted that riding at work was better than taking a sick day but I decided that I should test that hypothesis today by taking a good sick day and riding my bike 45 miles (round-trip) to Boring, OR. Boring is at the end of the Springwater Trail. 2.5 miles before Boring, the trail ceases to be paved which makes it slightly more difficult. Then, when I got to Boring, I wanted to keep going so I biked the 3 mile roundtrip down the Cazadero State Trail which is not only unpaved but also very rocky. After that last bit, I was ready to call it a day.

It was the longest bike ride I have ever taken, just slightly longer than my Blue Lake Ride. It was pretty much the entirety of my spring break. Really, it's all I need. When I started off today, I realized that I would be just happy doing this every day. The scenery was beautiful (I loved the goats in particular). While wearing my rainbow shirt, I passed by some kids in Rockwood whom I pegged from a good 50 yards away as being gay and they yelled out that they loved my shirt. All of the suburbs look a lot better from the trail. Hopefully, this next quarter of school will consist of a lighter load so I can do more long rides.

What else?
Yesterday, Andrew and I went to Bunk Bar where I tried the rice and beans for the first and last time. For their sandwiches, Bunk has it marked which are vegetarian. None of their sides are marked though and, even though we both ordered the vegetarian sandwiches, the waitress didn't stop to think to tell us that there was sausage in the beans. Argh. Anyway, she did give us some free slaw to make up for it.

On the way back from Bunk, we were biking across MLK on Stark and there were no cars so we started to run the light. Andrew made it across while I stopped once the horn started going off. The cop car behind me then pulled up next to me and began spouting off motivational speak at me. "You're part of the problem, you know." "It's not too late though. You can turn it around." I nodded and agreed with them in order to not get a ticket. That had the potential for putting a damper on our evening but the lecture was too silly to take seriously. Still, it's a learning experience and it's nice to have that shared experience together. I don't think I've ever been pulled over with a partner before.

No comments: