Saturday, March 24, 2012

what matters

Last month, a young man was shot due to racism and fear. Thanks to social and independent media, the event has made nationwide headlines and won't go away until answers are given. Today, Portland held it's own rally, discussing the racism involved in the situation and to mourn Trayvon Martin.

Ashes, Victory, Andrew, Dean and I went up to Peninsula Park this morning for the rally. There was a decent amount of people there but, as always, I'm surprised by who wasn't there. I'm surprised that more people in the social work field or school program weren't there. I'm surprised that more of my friends weren't there. I guess I just expect more out of people. However, there are probably many events that I don't attend for one reason or another so I shouldn't get judge-y. I am really glad that Andrew agreed to go with me. If he had said no, I would have accepted it but it would have been a mark against him. It's just that important to me that people stand in support of those organizing events like this even if there was a bit too much religiosity for me.

What else?
We met later for a Timbers game at Blitz and then I biked around for a bit. I went to Hollywood Vintage for the first time to check out their tweed in anticipation of the ride soon.

It was also BlowPony night!! I love love love dancing and Matt Bearaccuda was DJ'ing. I haven't gone to the Bearaccuda dance night before but I definitely will now since I know he'll be there. Erin brought her friend and her boyfriend and his friend. I also hung out with Tim and his friends. I danced long and hard, outlasting all of my friends. I really needed that!

Also, I forgot to note that yesterday I went to the Grilled Cheese Bus on Ankney for the first time and also Stacato Gelato. I thought each was okay but I'm just thankful that I got the bus out of my system. It's been on my to-do list for far too long.

No comments: