Wednesday, October 26, 2011

moving past first impressions

They say that you never have a second chance to make a first impression. That's true but people should also never make decisions based upon first impressions. When I initially meet people, I am usually shy and awkward if not just rude. If some of my friends had made their final decision of me based upon my first impression, I'm sure I'd had a lot less friends now.

In my class, there's a guy who always ALWAYS shows up late. Initially, I thought of him as lazy and/or irresponsible because he was late. He was then late to the next few classes as well and by now we have all just come to expect it. However, I did a motivational interviewing exercise with him today and got to talk to him for the first time. We did this exercise in regards to his tardiness and why he wanted to change that aspect of his character. It was cool because I got to really understand where he was coming from, he got to come to his own understanding about why he is always tardy and I got to change my perspective about him. I doubt we'll be hanging out but it's cool that I am at least not jumping to judgements about him.

In other renewed opportunity news, I gave Hungry Tiger Too another chance today. Sophia and I had been offended by their veggie Reuben a while back and then they gave us an animal leg in our tofu basket months ago. I heard that they rearranged their kitchen so I decided to let bygones be bygones and give them another chance. I had an awesome tofu veggie scramble and biscuits and gravy. I'm glad I came back.

What else?
I had to take a client on a community business tour today so we went Kruger's farmstand market and to the Flying Fish Co. where I bought some good organic eggs.

No comments: