Monday, October 17, 2011

hunting the elderly

With the weekend being full of pedi's as well as birthday and pity parties, I didn't have any time to work on my homework and we had a lot of reading due this week, not to mention two photos and three short essays. Therefore, I took a sick day and just read all day until the afternoon when I went to shoot some older people in the park.

My initial concept for my first PhotoVoice picture for my class was to take a picture of an elderly person spending time with a dog at the park. The idea was to look at what brings about positive mental health for people as they are aging. For me (and I'm sure many others), dogs always make things better. They'll get people outside more, get them exercise, and provide them with a purpose, companionship & love. It was a bit weird trying to capture a picture without people knowing but I didn't want to ask because I'm too shy. Besides, the teacher said we weren't supposed to take pictures of faces so the person wouldn't be able to be identified. However, I also read through the syllabus and saw that the teacher didn't want a person to be the primary focus of the picture. So my hunt was in vain. At least I got all of my reading done and some other photos taken.

No comments: