Saturday, October 1, 2011

y & the apocalypse

I have got a lot to read with my latest class but what I really want to read is Y.

I've always been drawn to post-apocalypse fantasy fiction, whether it's been movies, tv shows, books or comics. It's not all great but almost always provides some interesting conundrums about how we as a society are not set up to really survive without our amenities that we take for granted. Like all of the other stories, Y has it's own version of the apocalypse where all of the men (except for one) die. It's not a sex-romp book although they do talk about it. It's really a fascinating way to look at the existing world. How do men as a gender affect society, both negatively and positively and how would the world be after a major gendercide?

Sophia's new beau bought her the first two collections of Y comics instead of flowers for a date a while ago. I think that set a new bar for others to live up to as far a geek love goes. Since then, I've read those two and started checking out others through the library. Today, book #6 came in but it did so before book #5. Therefore, I took an hour out of the afternoon and went to Powells just to read it. Normally, I would just buy it but then I would want to buy the others just to have the whole set and I spend a lot of money at Powells already so I think I'm okay with just reading without purchasing this one time. Besides, I can't help myself!

Anyway, it was awesome and afterwards I headed home and read all of book #6. Buffy did their season eight through comic form but I didn't really care for it, primarily because it paled in comparison with the TV series. Therefore, Y is probably my favorite comic series ever, followed by Walking Dead but I think I love Y a tad more. It's a lot more of an appealing apocalypse but only if Dean could survive too (like the monkey in Y). However, I don't wish all of the men on the planet dead. I'd be very sad if that happened but it'd be the preferred choice over zombie carnage or nuclear holocaust.

No comments: