Wednesday, September 8, 2010

when the rain tells me it's okay

There's something primordial and basic about listening to the weather.  Since I gave up my car and don't use my housemates' car often, I've been more influenced by the weather.  When I gave up my scooter, destinations became judged by their friendly access, their distance and the lack of hills.  I wasn't in my peak, biking-all-the-time mentality and a sizable hill was daunting.  Now, I can handle the hills, the traffic and the distance.  However, the weather has become more of a barrier.  If it's too rainy, I stay in.  If it's nice outside, I seize the opportunity and get outside.

It was pouring rain earlier this afternoon but then it stopped.  I quickly went to my boss and asked if I could cash in on some hours owed to me and leave early.  While I wanted to make sure I could bike home early, it was just as important to me to get home in time to be able to walk Dean.  It rained a LOT yesterday and I stayed inside and faced the puppy eyes begging for the rain to stop.

I also had plans with a friend at 7.  However, the rain started again and stopped at 6.  I didn't care that it was going to be way early.  I just didn't want to get rained on so I left and waited for her for a while.  While I would prefer a non-rainy fall, I will take this stop-and-go action over the perpetuation of rain that we call winter/spring.  Hopefully the weather looks more kindly on me next season and only rains late in the night when I'm tucked away.

What else?
I know I'm gay but I didn't think I was a Joan Rivers' gay until tonight.  I first found Joan when she hosted a talk show on the USA network (or it was rebroadcast) during the early nineties.  I found her honest and funny then but I was unaware of her career or her lifestyle.  I schooled myself tonight as Jess and I went to see Joan Rivers, A Piece of Work.  She's a constant laughing stock and it's sad because she is talented, she is a hard worker and she is a product of our culture in that things have to be shocking to be acknowledged.

Despite my admiration for her, I was still surprised by how excited I was to go see this documentary.  Work hasn't been fun and I didn't do shit last night so that could have helped.  I was actually looking more forward to seeing the rest of the audience, anticipating that Jess and I would be surrounded by older queens.  However, I found myself in good company and thoroughly entertained.

Also, my new thing was meeting a new participant at work that I gave a tour to and also doing the complete Richard Simmons workout with a co-worker.  Usually it's just me and the clients.

No comments: