Tuesday, April 27, 2010

different angles

I got to see one of my clients in a new way today, through her in-laws.  It was weird because I've thought the worst of these people for the four years I've known this client.  She's painted them as being oppressive and manipulating.  However, after meeting them for the first time and getting a more rounded story, I'm beginning to see that she is a difficult daughter-in-law (with an equally difficult husband) and these in-laws are just trying to make it all work out.

It makes sense that I don't know all sides of her.  Even the people that know me really well at work still don't know just how I am at home.  And my friends would be surprised to see me at work.  I guess I'm kind of ignorant in assuming that I was getting a clear and consistent picture of this person who I only work with 22 hours a week and even then I only see her about an hour per week.  I knew that she didn't see all there was to me so why do I assume I'm a one-way mirror.  Anyway, it's gonna give me something to think about and change the way I deal with some of my more reserved clients and all of my clients' home staff and family.  They often go through shit that I couldn't imagine.  My obligation is to the client but I can and should assume that I'm not always getting the full picture from them.

No comments: