Thursday, April 22, 2010

the body electric

Today, I saw Eli Clare speak about body imagery.  Eli is a self-identified white, disabled genderqueer.  If I was to venture a guess and I am only doing so to further elaborate on who it was that I was listening to, I would guess that Eli is a female to male transgendered person who has Cerebral Palsy.  I've known other people with similar mannerisms and speech patterns who had Cerebral Palsy.  That's why I'm guessing CP.

Still, that's oppressive of me.  By stating what separates Eli from me, I'm labeling what's normative and what's deviant according to societal and cultural standards perpetuated by mass media.  I won't try to replicated Eli's presentation but it was damn powerful.  Basically, we've been told that people with disabilities are envious of and should aspire to be able-bodied which is perpetuating the idea of inferiority.

I think of myself as being more attuned to this sort of idea than your average bear but I found myself labeling myself as the service provider at the start of the presentation and putting people into two basic categories at the presentation: those who are experiencing this form of oppression and those who professionally help them.  However, this lesson can be applied to everyone and I'm no better than them.  Eli had us break into pairs and answer some personal questions about body image.  A lady I had met in the beginning of the presentation and I paired up.  Initially, I wanted to bolt because I hate group exercises.  But I'm glad I stuck around.  The lady was awesome and I'm glad I stayed.  I'm glad I went.  I'm glad I am who I am and I do this for a living and for a learning and life experience.

No comments: